Thursday, January 3, 2008

Topical Areas

Yeah, I think destroying "Prosperity Gospel" should be our first target--even though many evangelicals claim to disagree with it, most evangelicals and baptists schools of thought do promote prosperity ideals in smaller, disguised forms.

I also want to seriously critique the format of mega churches, and church format in general. Aside from the issue of cultural relevance, theres the issue of finances needed to run a mega church format. Those are secondary issues, not really theological, though. I think the "seeker sensitive" idea needs some serious scrutiny (hows that for alliteration?).

Gender issues are another big concern. Any thoughts on this?

But by far my biggest concern, atleast right now, is the way so many churches abuse their volunteers and staff--I don't mean "abuse," but I do mean: gross differences in pay rates (why does the pastor get $300k, but the youth pastor get $30k?), overdelegation practices, the idea of working your volunteers to the bone and then replacing them with new ones, "guilt trip" based calls-to-service... all of these things show an underlying attitude of complete disrespect for people.

Thoughts? Any other big topics?

-Mike

No comments: